Thursday, January 6, 2011

#2 This One Doesn't Have A Name...







This is an original composition that I started working on back in my Mexico days when I had at my disposal this classy, scratched up Wurlitzer studio piano that had made its way from Bermuda to Turkey, England, Puerto Rico, back to the U.S., and finally down to Mexico where it is now. (It traveled around with my mom and her family as my grandpa fulfilled his Air Force duties in those corners of the world). Someday I plan on keeping it next to my bed when I have a house of my own. Here's a picture of it:





(Photo credit: Christy Chang)

Anyway, a couple clarifications. Yes, I understand that it's absolutely foolish to record piano (or anything for that matter) through just the mic on your computer. As far as audio quality, there's no way I'm trying to show off for this video. Honestly, I do have the means to produce much better audio for these types of things. At least, I did until my Tascam US-144 interface kindly decided to stop working. (NEVER BUY A TASCAM US-144 INTERFACE, OKAY!?!?!?) And since then, I have been left only with my computer mic, which does a fine job for what it is. I plan on fixing this problem with... This! An M-Audio MobilePre mk II. From what I've heard, it has everything I need. Two inputs, volume control, manual mixing, all the good stuff. The only downside is it doesn't have MIDI inputs, but that's okay because I leave that sort of tech-y music to my better friends who know what they're doing. So yes, hopefully by the end of this break I should have enough monies to buy such a treasure.

And I just got completely sidetracked. Apologies for everyone!

So I also understand that this song is rather repetitive by nature. I'm not too worried about that, because for now all I wanted to do was to get the song's basic idea out there. Rest assured, that this song isn't finished (Are any songs ever finished?). Hopefully I might be able to slim down on the repetition and beef up on some variations. But I'm definitely planning on using at least part of this song for future work.

I suppose at the time that I first started working on this one, I was definitely under the influence of Yann Tiersen and W. A. Mozart. Mostly of the latter. I'm really very new to this classical-styled music scene and am just getting my hands on works by Mendelssohn and J.S. Bach and Chopin. I'm loving it all immensely. Hopefully I'll have a piece by Chopin up in the near future.
And yet, while finishing up this piece, or at least the basic idea of it, I was definitely influenced more-so by Yann Tiersen than by any others. You really should check out his music. The man's a present-day prodigy. Rather a miracle, in my opinion.
Here's a video of my personal favorite of his piano pieces. It doesn't really show off his complete mastery of the instrument, but it's packed with this thoughtful, sorrowful feeling inside it that for some reason is rare in our music culture.







And that's about it.
This song (My song) doesn't really have a name. I tried to come up with one in the past thirty minutes, but they all sounded lame, like "Ducks on the River" or "A Midnight in Silence." Either too flamboyant and silly or too much forced seriousness. Perhaps I'll come up with a name for it in the future. At the present, let's just call it Piano No. 1 in D Major. That's simple and uneasy to remember.

I think D Major is my favorite key. It's not quite E Major, but it's definitely not C Major.
This video is taking forever to upload. I just wrote all of this and it's still not done. Oh, the predicament.
Peace, Love, and Music!
(I'm a hippie tonight).
Thanks for reading
-Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment