Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Music is seclusion

So I didn't post a video last week.
And this is the precise reason why i said I wouldn't do a one-song-a-week video thing, because I knew things just wouldn't work. I'm much more of a four songs a month kind of a man.
Anyway, all this to say, I'll be adding a beast of a song tomorrow that you can dance to. I'm actually reeeeeeaaally excited about this one. It's the first song that I've made that's actually fully happy. No emotional sad faces or religious theology. Just bounce and smiles. That's what this one consists of. I wish I wrote it. Gosh.... there are so many songs I wish I wrote...
Anyway, I decided to blog tonight anyway just because I felt like it. There were some pretty deep musical thoughts going around in my head a couple hours ago, then my mom wanted to teach me how to file my tax report or something like that. And then I got all taxed out and can't remember exactly what I was thinking. Thanks, mom.

In an interview or a video blog or something, Imogen Heap said that music is a very reclusive art. You spend hours fiddling around with sounds, making them, bending them, editing them, dancing to them. And it's all alone in a dark room. Your only company is the music that you create. This isn't bad, because this is simply the way music comes about. It's a thing created personally, not publicly. I'm not expressing this well.... let me see.
In my opinion, I feel that music must be created at a really private level, either by yourself or with friends that you trust. I don't think the creation of music should be a social thing. I've heard about big artists who have parties while they record parts of their albums. I feel like that's fake. Music looses something, I think, when you make music socially.
And because of that, musicians (If I dare call myself one) are recluses. It's not their fault. I'd wager that most musicians like people in general. But music is an art demanding seclusion.
I've probably spent about five hours working on this song that i'll put up tomorrow. Five hours. No facebook. No homework. No friends. No phone calls. Just art.
I would say that it isn't worth it, to make music, when it demands so much of me. But at the same time, I feel like it's a valid way to spend your time. For one, though you do not connect with people while you're making a song, I feel like you can connect with people anywhere when they hear the song that you created. The listener might not like what they hear, and that might be your fault or theirs, just as people might not like you at a party, when it could be your fault or theirs. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the transferring of music can be a means for social connection, but the creation of music must not be.

Really, I'm just rambling about something I dont know much about.

I also feel that for this reason of music being such a secluded art, and my longing to see the world and know about it, I've been thinking about changing my college major to something completely random like marine conservation biology or zoology or ecology. Something to get me out to smell the sea and the green grass and animal poo. Perhaps having a major that gets me out doing things will compensate for the seclusion that is making music.

And speaking of Imogen Heap, did you know that she composed and performed a whole orchestral piece? you should go research it. She's so pretty...

Thanks for reading!
Music coming tomorrow!
Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment